God is the light of the heavens and the earth. [Quran: 24:35]
Meaning of Islam
What is Islam?
Islam is a monotheistic religion, like Judaism and Christianity. For a fifth of the world's population, Islam is a complete way of life, articulated by the Quran, the final revelation from God, and by the final Prophet, Mohammad. A Muslim is a follower of Islam.
Who is Allah?
•Allah is the proper name for Almighty God, and is often translated merely as "God." Allah has other names that are used to describe His characteristics: the Creator, the Sustainer, the Merciful, the Compassionate, etc.
•Muslims believe that since Allah alone is the Creator, it is He alone that deserves our devout love and worship.
Reasons for Revelation
•God has revealed to men certain things that could not otherwise be known. This process is known as REVELATION.
•According to the Quran, religion has two basic functions that are summed up in the opening Surah (chapter):
- To bring people to love and worship the one true God
- To teach us how to live together according to God's will, in peace, harmony, and freedom.
Before the Revelation of the Quran
The majority of Arabia was Pagan before the coming of Islam. They believed in many gods (represented by idols made of stone), it's thought that there were at least 365. The pagan arabs also had many traditions & customs which are contrary to Islam. At a time when Christianity was not yet fully established in Europe.
Muslims believe in Torah and Bible
A Muslim believes in all scriptures and revelations of God, as they were complete and in their original versions, given to previous messengers.
- Moses the Torah
- Jesus the Injeel (Gospel).
However, the previous scriptures do not exist today in the original form in which they were revealed.
What is the Quran?
- The Quran, the last revealed Word of God, is the prime source of every Muslim's faith and practice. It deals with all the subjects which concern us as human beings: wisdom, doctrine, worship, and law, but its basic theme is the relationship between God and His creatures. At the same time it provides guidelines for a just society, proper human conduct and an equitable economic system.
- The Quran is unique because it is the only revealed book that exists today in the precise form and content in which it was originally revealed.
- Muslims to this day continue to emphasize the importance of memorizing the Quran word by word, as a whole or in part, recognizing that it is the Speech of God and not a book written by Mohammad (pbuh) himself. The Quran is perhaps the only book, religious or secular, that has been memorized completely by millions of people. There are 77701 words in the Quran.
Revelation of the Quran
- The Quran was revealed piecemeal throughout a period of about 23 years. God (Allah) sent the revelation through the angel Gabriel to a Prophet Muhammad. Muhammad was born in approximately AD 570-571. In year 610, he received the first revelation from God.
- The first revelation was revealed in the Mountain of Light : "Read in the name of your Lord who created, created man from a clot. Read, for your Lord is most Generous, Who teaches by means of the pen, teaches man what he does not know." (96: 1-5)
- The last revelation was, which was sent down to the Prophet in 632 C.E. "Today I perfected your religion for you and completed my favor to you and have chosen for you Al-Islam as your religion." (5:3)
Basic Principle of Islam
The basic principle of worship in Islam states that every action of an individual that is carried out to fulfill God's will and is to seek God's pleasure is an act of worship and will be rewarded. According to this principle, for a Muslim to go to work to earn a living, for a father or mother to provide for their children, for a spouse to love and care for the spouse, for parents to raise their children and even to play with their children, and so on, is an act of worship that will be rewarded by God.
Who are the Muslims?
Around 1.5 billion people from a vast range of races, nationalities and cultures across the globe - from the southern Philippines to Nigeria - are united by their common Islamic faith. About 18% live in the Arab world; the world's largest Muslim community is in Indonesia; substantial parts of Asia and most of Africa are Muslim, while significant minorities are to be found in the Soviet Union, China, North and South America, and Europe. Today Islam is the fastest growing religion in the world.
Muslims strike a balance by fulfilling the obligations of and enjoying this life, while always mindful of their duties to Allah and to others.
- High Morals and Manners
- Honest Business Ethics
- Modesty in dress and behavior
- Follow Dietary rules
- Care of children and elderly
- Never have racism and prejudice
- Peaceful relations with non-Muslims